NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Collaboration frolics

Fujimura with "Charis"
Wednesday is always mightily busy, but today I have an interesting extra thing to work on. I've been asked for a book proposal on the collaborative project I did several years ago with artist Makoto Fujimura.  ( Makoto Fujimura is a nihongan painter who has been on the NEA board and founded International Arts Movement--he is an active culture-builder as well as artist.) It started with a challenge from Mako to write an essay about the ten commandments (you know, those things we break.) As I am always a little whimsical about how I interpret requests, I am afraid that it rapidly became a story in nine (not ten--you though there would be ten, no doubt) parts.We did several presentations of story and art at Yale Divinity School, and the book (if it happens) will include both plus an introduction by Miroslav Volf. It should make a small, beautiful book...

Now, off to music lesson, lalala!

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful that the collaboration has borne further fruit. I hope that I one day get such proposals!
    So what kind of music lessons are you taking? Singing lessons? Sight reading? Playing an instrument?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robinka,

    Collaboration across media is a lot of fun, I must say, particularly if it just grows up naturally as two people know each other better.

    I do a weekly voice lesson that is really mostly an extra private choir practice at the moment (so many events coming up), though last week we were working on intervals for a bit. I started it up on my own with the choirmaster, but now several others come. Four at the most, a mix of sopranos and altos. I am so glad not to be alto. Soprano is so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that you can sing two notes at once!!!!!!!!
    (Intervals..... groan)

    This is a project that is surely going to end up in a very beautiful small book indeed. I look forward to seeing this, Marly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,

    You are one to talk! You sing many notes at once and rather well, trala...

    Which reminds me: I need to write you.

    I do think the book needs to be a little treasure to suit the mode of the paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.