NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Friday, March 22, 2013

A golden glance--

Robert Stephan, glass detail
North Carolina Glass 2012, WCU

Today I am having lunch with a longtime friend from out of town, going to an 85th birthday party for a vigorous, lively woman, and seeing off my husband and my youngest--they're going to the Grand Canyon while I stay home and do . . . taxes! All my facebook friends have declared this terribly unfair and worse that sharp rocks. Although I do not have to sleep on sharp rocks (yes, I think the sharp rocks still win over taxes), I also do not have to feed and care for 41 Scouts or thereabouts. And maybe the combination wins over taxes. Not sure. They will have a jolly, exciting time.

Instead of a proper post, I leave you with a glimpse. Above you see what I saw when I peeped inside a piece of glass by Robert Stephan at the North Carolina Glass 2012 show at Western Carolina University. Lovely golden complexities that shatter and break inside an outwardly smooth and simple object . . . I love these smaller shows where you can get very close to the art, scrutinize it, take pictures, and wander around and around without being bothered.

Meeting me elsewhere: excerpts from 2012 books (A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage, Thaliad, The Foliate Head) at ScribdThaliad at Phoenicia Publishing. See page tabs above for more on those brand new books, The Throne of Psyche from 2011, and others. See prior post new review and comments.

4 comments:

  1. That topaz fractured glass is beautiful. Hope you had a nice lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely photo! It reminds me of drinking a lovely cordial or liquor that tastes and smells as beautiful as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy,

    I'll have to post a picture of the whole piece from a short distance some time because one would never guess that complicated, gorgeous imagery to be hidden inside. The experience of peering about and finding the interior is half the pleasure of the glass--so glad it was shown in so accessible a way, so that its pleasures could be explored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robbi,

    That's a good, unexpected comparison--the color and richness and pleasure of the thing!

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.