NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Monday, April 02, 2012

In which I am thankful

The Ferrol Sams Award for Fiction
Read chapter one at Scribd.
Thank you to Marc Jolley, publisher of The Mercer University Press (as well as to Barbara Keene, marketing director, and to the staff) for deciding to nominate A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage for several national awards.

While evident to them that few books make the short list for a major award, writers are quite grateful for a nomination. Compared to the number of books published each year, the number of nominations is tiny, as they are limited, costly, and time-consuming for a publisher.

A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage sprang out into the world three days ago. I've been fooling around with various marketing ideas (that thing that all writers these days must fool with!) and have been pleased by shares of the news and a sample on social media. "Reads" at Scribd stands at 626, so I suppose that may be good, although most went up in the first day.

I continue to be very thankful for those of you who share the posted chapter at Scribd and book page, especially since I have laryngitis and can't tell anybody anything!

11 comments:

  1. Your fingers work well though ;)

    My book is "in the mail"; I guess I'll be getting it very soon. I'm still champing at the bit though!

    Meran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meran--

    I'm very glad that you ordered a book and hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need a voice these days to market a book. Keep on typing! But then again, things are going so swimmingly that you can afford a wee rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope they are going well. Marketing can be deceptive...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't I know it. I haven't heard anything of the projects I thought I had finessed, except one. The LB bookstore will NOT carry my book (or not from any source that will benefit me!) and will not permit a reading.
    I haven't heard from BB yet, or WF market.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weds. I'll do another open mic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arrived home from a weekend away to find my copy of A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage awaiting me. Beautiful, with the embossed award and lettering rendering the dust-jacket lovely to touch. I shal start reading it shortly, but just wanted to tell you that Mr Amazon was pretty fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am glad that there are some reasonable ways to get a copy in Europe! And that you liked the way it looked, Clive...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marly, I've just ordered a copy - will take 3-4 weeks - can hardly wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that because it's Canada? Wow, that's an impressive length of time! Let me know when it arrives...

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.