NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Friday, July 01, 2011

Poems new and less-new at "Victorian Violet"

Cover image by Sophie Gengembre Anderson, 1823 - 1903
 "Take the Fair Face of Woman, and Gently Suspending,
With Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending,
Thus Your Fairy is Made of Most Beautiful Things" --Charles Ede

And yet another update: Another change of link names for magazine pages, so I have updated once more... And I think that probably will be it. Update: Thanks to Laura for asking! After taking a look, I saw that the links had changed and that the table of contents wasn't linking to pages. So I've managed to guess my new link based on the old one combined with the home page address.

Thanks to editor and poet Karen Kelsay Davies for asking for a new poem and some reprints for her e-zine, Victorian Violet, as well as for nominating "At Cullowhee" for "Best of the Net." The journal has a lot of interesting-looking work that I will enjoy more of when the dying, blinking, frenzied modem is replaced (lightning strike and surge from the last storm? Right now I'm camped out on the library lawn to do this post, scheduled via blogger magic for the following day.)

My reprint pieces are two from The Throne of Psyche that I have posted earlier, "Gulf" and "At Cullowhee." It's always surprising to find out what people are most drawn to, and I've continued to get notes about both of those, particularly the latter. At first I thought it was liked because of the North Carolina connection--I had many requests for it at a reading there--but it seems to be plain old liked. Just today I got a note about it from a painter friend. Interesting.

And then the last poem is one of the Red King series, titled "Red Poppy Dreams." The fool is bumbling about in the skirts of a poppy flower... Burmese climbing rhyme. You may find all three here.

6 comments:

  1. Plain old liked--yes! I didn't know Cullowhee was IN North Carolina, tho'now I do.

    It's a beautiful journey in words--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Miss Mary!

    Yes, Cullowhee is very much in North Carolina, an hour west of Asheville. And when I am in North Carolina, that is generally where I am, unless I have made a jaunt to see friends or do events in Chapel Hill.

    "Cullowhee" is a Cherokee name meaning "valley of lilies."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that Cullowee poem! And the fool poem too, but then I love all of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cullowhee poem is a favorite of mine, too, because of all the plant references. As for the third poem, I really like the rhyme which is not end-rhyme. Neat form! (And you know I don't say that very often.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave,

    I am so glad you said that because I remembered the poem then--isn't that awful? I had said it had a haiku-stanza, but that was just bad memory because it's something else entirely. Too many Red King and Fool poems? Anyway, I changed the post.

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.