NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Thursday, July 04, 2013

My 4th

How I celebrated my fourth of July: finished reading a novel-in-manuscript by an old friend; had a barbecue at Glimmerglass State Park, near the swimming beach; skunked my husband and boys at croquet by the lake; ate homemade raspbery ice cream at Tunnicliff Creamery; and stopped on a little road by the lake to watch fireworks from the Busch compound... It was altogether pleasant (aside from missing my daughter--I might have skunked her as well!) and celebratory. I hope yours was as well, if you are a celebrator of the day. Thought for Independence Day: "The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty." --John Adams

4 comments:

  1. To see the fireworks from a suburban Maryland campus, we pulled the car onto a highway median, where at least a thousand of our fellow citizens drove on the grass, parked on the shoulder, and otherwise trespassed on county land. Unlicensed vendors sold light-up toys to kids; an ice-cream truck parked illegally; and some people near our blanket were drunk. It was a wonderful way to spend Independence Day: hanging out with hundreds of Americans breaking dozens of laws while the local police drove helplessly past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, hah! That sounds in the spirit of John Adams' description of future celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen Saint Lauren8:39 AM, July 06, 2013

    Happy belated Fourth, Marly! My husband bought me a new Home for my birthday on June 25 in Chapel Hill, NC, at Governors Club where I can FINALLY be amid a supportive writing community. The NE is no longer where I lay my head--!--PTL!
    We watched a very nice fireworks show over the lake down the road behind the CC here. Our new home has officially been named, "Southern Light."
    God has smiled on me with lots of windows of light here amid my ever present darkness. If you are ever near or in Chapel Hill, know that you are always welcome in my Home. Take care, keep up your on-going good work and writing. God bless you too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eileen,

    I have moved to Chapel Hill - Carrboro three times in my life, and I often miss it. Lots of writers--enjoy!

    I will be doing readings in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, and Fearrington in August... So perhaps I will meet you then.

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.