NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Books at Woodside

I'm packing my bag to mosey over to the Cooperstown Book Club. Evidently we're meeting at Woodside Hall; it's not so far from me, but I've never been inside, so that will be interesting. I'll take my camera and post some pictures... The Greek Revival mansion was built by Judge Samuel Morehouse in 1829, and I've heard that he lost it gambling, but maybe that was just a rumor. I'll find out. Supposedly President Van Buren became lost in the gardens, though I don't think they have survived. I want to take a good look at the Egyptian-style gate... That was built 1895 or after when the house changed hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.