NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Clive grows leafy!


Green men can be dangerous. Once they open their mouths and the leaves erupt, watch out!

While sketching and painting and fooling with green man images for the cover of my upcoming book of poetry, The Foliate Head,  the painter Clive Hicks-Jenkins was overcome by the green spirit and cannot stop tossing off magical images... He appears to be inhabited by greenishness and can't stop.

He has gotten many interesting comments at the Artlog (as I have, too, here and on facebook and via email--thanks to those of you who sounded off!), and if you want to join in and give an opinion of the cover images, they are now in two spots. Six finalists were collected here: http://clivehicksjenkins.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/marlys-book-cover/. A further cover image went up today: http://clivehicksjenkins.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/green-men/, and he has started posting interior images. If you look at those two posts, you may refer to an image by the number under each.

If you commented somewhere before, feel free to comment again now that we have more... And if you have not commented, feel free to join in!

7 comments:

  1. Having a difficult time choosing for I like them all, but here goes: I, V, VII, and I like the black one for the interior. You must be thrilled with Clive's creative eruption, Marly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are having a grand time--lovely surprises! I'd have to count, but I think that so far one comes up most often...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun!
    My favorite is this one, VII. Followed by IV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this new one. I'm glad it's not my job to pick the prize-winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably we'll whittle down to around three and then really mull how well they suit the poems...

    ReplyDelete
  6. zephyr, I like IV as well! And every time I see a new one, I'm sure it's my favorite, at least for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mulling...

    Just had a letter from yet another painter friend. She who liked VI best (wished it green) and then III as being strongest in design, balanced and powerful.

    That's the second painter to like VI best.

    Shall have to read over all the comments on the Artlog and then think about the poems and images together.

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.