NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Autumn morning with rain

Yesterday I finished the work on a long judging stint. I celebrated by taking a nap, and when I woke, I sat up in bed and wrote a poem. It felt like magic. And even a morning of autumn rain and "Goldengrove unleaving" can feel like the first day of summer. "Nature is never spent / There lives the dearest freshness deep down things..." I'm in a Hopkins sort of mood, it seems.

Or perhaps it is a Yeats mood of tragic joy, alive in a world where "irrational streams of blood are staining earth." Yet from the darkness springs again "The workman, noble, and the saint, and all things run / On that unfashionable gyre again."

Skimming around the web a few moments ago, I was struck all over again by old, simple truths--that we rarely know what matters, that we mistake straw for gold, that we could be better to one another.  Have I lived this long only to know what a child learns, navigating the world? I feel like a child, eager to play with paint or to push words around on a scrap of paper. So let me go. I will make something.

10 comments:

  1. That wonderful feeling when the mind vista is good for creating things!
    I hope you paint up a storm (or the rain, at least!)

    That was one long, arduous stint, Marly.
    Not just 'well done', but Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mr. Tree!

    Trala, I'm off to chop off the hair and have adventures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a glorious feeling! I know it well...enjoy your new-found freedom, Marly! I'm sure we'll all be rewarded with new poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, Marly. So hard for creative people when life draws us away from creating. So joyful when we return again, bursting with ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth,

    Hope so! I might clean my house, too. Neglect, neglect!

    Anonymouse,

    Thanks! Aspire to the bursting... XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, that lightening of the load on the shoulders, and the opening of opportunities to be creative! That is September too, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although this September brought everybody home... All will be easier when Mike gets home from Mozambique, though. Trala!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked your blog! It helped me alot… Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed this. Glad you emerged from your judging lair unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Miss Robbi. I learned a great deal about many things...

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.