NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

The Red King dancing with Charis

Preparatory sketch 
by 
Clive Hicks-Jenkins

Clive Hicks-Jenkins, from facebook: "A tiny and rough-ish drawing from my current project-book for Marly Youmans’ new novel ‘Charis in the World of Wonders’. The project-book contains several suggestions to the editorial board for the cover, one of which has now been selected and signed-off on, plus a stitchwork-inspired bestiary as a starting point for the planned fifteen chapter headings, tailpieces and vignettes, among which is this owl."

* * *

Now is the time of the King and the Fool, and to celebrate Clive's gorgeous art for that collection of poetry, but I could not resist sharing this little bit of next year's novel... A future vignette for a chapter heading. Below, a bit of the current book from Phoenicia Publishing. 

* * * * *

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading The Red King right now. It's mysterious and beautiful, familiar and strange, etc etc.

    A few weeks ago, I was pleased to get my hands on a copy of Val/Orson, in the limited signed edition. Added to the tottering heap of my "to be read" stack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Scott--just arrived from North Carolina last night and am glad to be home and not behind the wheel...

      Well, you have an unusual possession if you have a V/O! They are rare...

      I'm so glad you have a copy of The Book of the Red King! Makes me happy. Still hoping it is not doomed to obscurity--I mean, most poetry is, but not doomed relatively speaking!

      Delete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.