NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Sunday, May 20, 2012

On the road & a new review--

Thanks to books editor Greg Langley at The Baton Rouge Advocate for this morning's new review, tracing the path of a Pip who by the end of the book "is not yet out of his teens, young and beautiful and already a thousand years old." He writes that "Youmans tells Pip’s story in her lyric, poetic voice, offering readers vivid characters and unforgettable scenery. The tragedy that begins the story is almost lost in the general misery that was the Great Depression, but the fire of memory burns steadily in Pip and keeps the plot simmering to the end of the book."

It's 6:00 a.m. in Statesville, North Carolina, where I just spent the night with a high school classmate and her husband, pastor at New Salem Methodist. I think this is the first time I have ever been asked to visit a Sunday School class on my book travels! The prior few nights I spent with my friend's older sister and her husband in Raleigh, where I also saw more high school friends. I am midway in my North Carolina events and will be heading back to Cullowhee for a few days before going to Chapel Hill and Pittsboro for more readings.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful trip. I hope you are selling tons of books and enjoying it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep, I forgot to put in a link--now in!

    Robbi,

    Yes, I am having more fun than one is supposed to have while doing these things... Lovely to see old friends and teachers and relatives and so on.

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.