NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Friday, June 05, 2020

Clive in the mood for Thaliad


Art by Clive Hicks-Jenkins
See Clive's posts on Thaliad here
Book design by Elizabeth Adams


Available
in pb via indies, BookshopAmazon, etc.,
and in both hc/pb from Phoenicia Publishing

Clive, this morning in Wales: 'Ark', a chapter heading from Marly Youman's poem/novel, 'Thaliad'. I set out on my 'Thaliad' adventure with some trepidation, wary of its author's description in several e-mails of being a post-apocalypse-themed epic-poem. Ahead of reading it I wondered what I might offer to add to its words, but as I worked through the manuscript making my notes, I became completely lost in it. Though I've loved all the works I've illustrated for Marly, this is a personal favourite. It was also the first book in which I felt I really began to understand how to 'decorate' the pages of a text. I'm going to return to it when I've finished my current read. I feel it's what I need right now. It was published by Phoenicia Publishing and is still available from them.

* * *

I'm glad that Thaliad is still in print, still trickling out into the world, and I'm happy that Clive thinks it right-for-right-now. (We need to outlaw the phrase, "trying times," and a few others that have sprung up like dandelions. Well, I don't mean to insult those little starry suns in our yards and meadows. How about these? Like Japanese knotweed. Like bishop's weed. Like unwanted periwinkle.)

3 comments:

  1. "Thaliad" was the first book of yours I read, and it's still my favorite. It offers a good reminder right now that hope is important but its fulfillment has to be earned.

    In a few weeks, when the book I'm working on is finally done, I'll be making time to read "Red King" and "Charis." I'll be looking for recurring themes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoying blog, you didn't post my comments!

      Jeff, thank you for that--interesting place to start...

      And I am happy to hear that your long woork on that secret-ish book is finally drawing to a close. I look toward to it. (And, of course, that I shall have you again as a reader.)

      Delete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.