NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Seren: video, newsletter, review, more...


                                            CLICK ME, says Alice's video, though rather shyly.


VISUAL ART
on this page and the pages of Seren of the Wildwood is the splendid handiwork of Clive Hicks-Jenkins.

WISEBLOOD NEWSLETTER 

Eep! I've been posting away on social media and entirely forgetting the blog. But here I am, and HERE's today's newsletter from Wiseblood Books, focusing on Seren of the Wildwood and Dana Gioia's translation of Seneca’s The Madness of Hercules. Interesting letter with links for pre-orders (better hurry if you want a pre-order price--and you can get the pre-order price plus shipping if you live abroad), and even a homemade video from moi! Enjoy...

FIRST REVIEW

And here is the very first review of the book, a happy long double-pager. Click to enlarge. I'm grateful to Tessa Carman for spending her time on it, and to Fr. Mark Michael for assigning a review in The Living Church (ECUSA/Anglican Communion.) Don't I need business cards that read Master Enchanter now?


SEREN LOUNGING ON CHINOISERIE

Here you may see three Seren of the Wildwood (Wiseblood Books) copies at the home of L.A.-and-Chicago artist Leonard D. Greco, Jr. 



MORE

I'll be doing a reading near D. C. in early March, and then at City Lights (Sylva) and Goldberry (Concord) at mid-month. After that, some in and near Cooperstown. And then we shall see. I have a house reading scheduled, and I'm also open to those if they're not too far from Cullowhee or Cooperstown, or on the road between...

The Rollipoke 23, with more Seren news, is HERE.





2 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never had the confidence to fill up blog space with melodious crits. I think you can guess why. And not just a long, long crit but one where the critic casually drops in the verb "enjoins". Made me stop and ponder. I started writing, aged eight-ish, on my mother's double-keyboard typewriter; millions of words later and I'm now 87. But in all that wearisome time I have never employed "enjoin". And, yes, I knew what it meant. A few years ago I made great play in the blog with "rebarbative" but it doesn't have the almost medieval and wholly academic ring to it that "enjoin" has. I'm thinking of paying a Tone Deaf commenter - now an almost extinct breed - to write me a few lines incorporating that seductive word, even if he enjoins me to shut up. Envy, that's what you're spreading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been bad about the blog because social media (ugh, talk of words--what an unattractive term "social media" is) seems to be where to talk about a new book, and it takes a lot of time. And of course long poems need a lot of yacking and images tossed out into the world.... As usual, I've made what I wanted to make in my own possibly-weird (well, not to me) way, and while I'm okay with that, it is still curious to me what the media machine promotes and loves.

      So I just lobbed the whole kitchen sink at this post. And added the review because it's not available without subscription. You're still doing proper blog posts. (I need to catch up, too!) Anyway, I just can't manage everything at the moment, mostly because I have a lot of extra duties. I just keep ping-ponging up and down the rather long East Coast, putting out the latest fire, dealing with faraway problems.

      I am impressed by your "rebarbative" use, so there! And I shall have to drop an "enjoin" in a comment on one of your posts when you least expect it.

      Delete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.