NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Saturday, June 18, 2022

NCLR: Night-blooming Cereus, Spring Tree Egg, Alice




From a recent North Carolina Literary Review zoom reading: three of my poems from a wild-and-free sequence influenced by the paralIelism of Hebrew poetry (via the lovely rhythms of the King James Bible) and a Yoruban form. Yep, a real Silk Road set of poems... And not formal in the way you may associate with my poems.

I never watch myself, so I can't make any promises...

2 comments:

  1. The only thing that's more difficult than pronouncing parallelism is to spell it. Verb. sap.

    I'm not so inhibited as you; I watched and listened. I envy you the natural acoustic of that room; attempts to record and blog-publish my singing from the papery pit that is my study have all failed. Your position - sitting at a table - is OK but, as an experiment, try a recording standing up and see if there's increased response to the higher frequencies in your voice.

    When I've (rarely) read my sonnets aloud for the blog I found I read them too quickly. Certainly compared with Eliot, Auden, Larkin and Thomas. This caused me to reflect on one of the judgments on Mozart - that the silences were almost as persuasive as the notes. Have you considered this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the standing/speeding advice, RR! I did read more quickly than usual--something about those poems seemed pell-mell. But maybe that's just wrong, I don't know...

      Just back from Montreal. I suppose you consider that the realm of barbarian French.

      Delete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.