NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Lynn Digby's new blog of small paintings


My friend Lynn Digby has new blog devoted solely to small paintings. If you crave original art but have a limited budget, this is a way to afford an original Digby. Most of her pieces are on a much larger scale.

Above you can see an image now hanging on the wall of my writing room, and in good company on a narrow bit of wall with a piece by Clive Hicks-Jenkins and a framed catalogue of work by Steve Cieslawki. The lion is in the likeness of a red sandstone lion on the Flagler College gates in St. Augustine, a place Lynn and Paul have often visited. Isn't he soulful-eyed? A regular Aslan.

Lynn's commentary tells the story behind each:
But it's deceptive how working in mostly value pattern can turn into a dance between hitting the temperatures as well as the range of value. What I thought would be a straightforward process quickly got complicated.
It didn't help that I chose cad red for my under painting. I like red under paintings, but in this case, there was so much red in the colors of the stone face, that things got confusing - and wet. Really wet.
Reluctantly, I had to step back with the piece incomplete because I needed it to dry before popping in the lights. This is how I usually work my larger pieces., but the whole idea with these smaller ones was to get in; get out; and get it done.
And here's a small landscape. Lynn says, "The reference was taken a while back after a freezing rain storm. It's actually looking down the alleyway next to our house. Everything was a glare of ice that night with surreal colors reflecting of iced surfaces." When I visited her house, everything was green and lush, but I like this vivid peep at an Ohio winter.


So go! Take a peek, and maybe even drop her a line that you'd like to have a tiny, precious (but affordable) work of art. My precious!

2 comments:

  1. Even people with empty pockets (like me) should nevertheless browse the confectioner's shop and enjoy the eye candy. (Well, I hope the artist is not offended by my metaphor.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure she would be pleased if you looked and concluded that you liked her work...

      But I wanted to encourage the blogger and mention the possibility of ownership because I can see, looking at my many painter friends, that it is a difficult time to make a living as a visual artist. Of course, the same holds true for any sort of mid-list writer, and with many others in the arts.

      Delete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.