NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

In sun and rain--

Illustration by Galen Dara
It's a melancholy day, as child no. 2 heads back to Vermont with her godparents, and the house is quiet. Outside the rain is falling, fine and gentle, sometimes in the sunshine. It all seems so appropriate to the date. As we grow older, more and more dates in our lives have a special, often secret meaning, sometimes connected with something beautiful, sometimes connected with events that wound. May 20th and June 3rd are linked in my mind, two of my dates, the latter a date from several years before my birth. Yet they have remained important all my life. The closest I've come to writing about what they mean in prose is the reprinted story here. And there's a related interview here.

4 comments:

  1. Humans are the only living, breathing things so specifically conscious of time that they mark and commemorate past moments. It is both a blessing and a curse, isn't it? Well, it is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your story, a mystery to me as your works is always, in a magical way. The interview was very good too. RT's comment hits true for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, marja-leena! That one is a mystery to me in some ways--how it appeared so suddenly, and poured out.

      Glad you liked the interview.

      RT aka Tim: that comment of humans as the only time-markers and the pleasure and grief of it is so very true.

      Delete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.