NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Sweet collaborations--

Artist Clive Hicks-Jenkins and poet and Aberystwyth University professor (now department head and Rendel Professor) Damian Walford Davies talk about poetry, painting, collaboration, and more here. Various poets come in for a mention, sometimes obliquely, and Damian reads some of his poems inspired by Clive's paintings. I'm glad Clive also read a poem by his dear friend Catriona Urquhart, who passed from this world on May Day seven years back.

The recording is a little wonky at the start, but hang on.

* * *
In related news, today Clive will post an image of the hand-pulled bookplate for Thaliad. Those will go to the first 50 who bought the book after launch plus the hardcover pre-orderers, I believe. I'm grateful that he and Beth Adams are going to such pains.

2 comments:

  1. I am doing a lot of thinking about collaboration in the wake of the broadside I published this week in Broadsided.
    I decided I will gather together poems I've done that respond to or appear alongside with a work of visual art. By the end of this coming week I will have about 7, including 2 from my book. I want to gather about 10 or 12, and then I'll call it a chapbook and send it out.
    I want to collaborate some more, to get the rest of that number together. I have written to the artist whose painting appears on the broadside and asked him if he would be interested in doing this. He seems game. The problem is, I cannot pay him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that I've ever asked anyone... except for something for which the other person would benefit equally, as when Yolanda Sharpe and I made a joint submission to Yew Journal. (There are a number of ekphrastic 'zines.)

    Mostly it just sort of happened, or else people asked me. I think that I am just hesitant to ask other people, but you are bolder!

    There are a number of ekphrastic magazines, and you might ask somebody to collaborate with you on a submission--that might be one way to have a pairing.

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.