NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

No. 1 Tyger


College friend Mary Bullington won 1st place in the Bath County art show "mixed media" category for "Dancing around the Big Red Tyger." ("Tyger, Tyger," frolicking in the forests of Mary's quick and colorful mind.) The award was judged by Steve Cushner of The Corcoran Gallery's art school.

Mary is a marvelous collagist and painter, and I have a silly little hope that somebody who is wonderfully rich and dripping with jewels will read this post and give her a car big enough to transport paintings--selfishly, so that I don't have to ride in the Bumbling Deathtrap the next time I go to Roanoke, and generously, so that she doesn't have to ride in the Deathtrap the next time she needs paints or groceries. She lives in a wonderful bungalow with cats (but not so many as to make her a Cat Lady) and paints like a wondrous madwoman.

You may find Mary Boxley Bullington on her public facebook page. It's a great place to look at her images, both finished versions and at different points of composition. And that's especially interesting for her collages. Her mode of work and her two studios are wild! She is the messiest artist I've known, and I mean that in a good way--one has the delightful impression of a dervish, wildly spinning in the throes of creation. And you may find her on her blogger site, which she needs to update. I have seen lots of pictures that are not here yet...

2 comments:

  1. oh lord, Marly, now I have to actually put some work on my FB page! (didn't think I've even published it yet). Meanwhile anyone who so desires, dripping with Jewels or not, can see more of my work at maryboxleybullington.blogspot--or you may friend me on FB. At least, this is a possibility if I can pass the human vs robot test below. Have failed it twice so far!

    love,Mary PS I see that my poor little Saturn wagon has graduated from "beastmobile" to "rolling Deathtrap," when really it's just an old pony getting ready to go to pasture in the happy hunting grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured "Deathtrap" might be more motivating...

    I took the test off completely last week and got 5 million new friends from around the world who wanted to sell me something (or shock me, in some cases. Of course, none of us can be properly shocked any more, thanks to people like them.)

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.