NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Monday, September 13, 2010

Chocolate-covered grasshopper

Playwright Lynn Siefert has given me the most quirky assessment of my poetry and fiction that I have ever received: "I like your writing so much because it's a mix of delicacy and and darkness. Like a chocolate covered grasshopper. Once you get to the dark part it's too late because you've been seduced by the delectable part."

Grasshopper courtesy of http://www.sxc.hu/ and Thomas Pate of Florida.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I'd say this comment captures exactly what you would want to be in your poems... if they were all sweetness and light (chocolate coating), that wouldn't be good; and in the same way, pure grasshopper would make them unpalatable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, one of the people who commented on the Facebook link pointed out (it is amazing the things some people remember!) that I'd had a review (and now I remember it) that said that I wrote like the love child of--and she couldn't remember who. But it was the love child of Toni Morrison and Alan Gurganus.

    But I still think chocolate covered grasshopper is the most outrageous.

    ReplyDelete

Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.